IMO Manual on Oil Pollution: Section I - Prevention 2011 Edition IA557E
This Section of the Manual on Oil Pollution is intended to provide practical guidance related to the prevention of pollution from ships, and describes procedures for the handling of oil cargoes, bunkering, ship-to-ship transfer operations, transfer operations involving offshore units and operations in ice-covered waters. It also provides an overview of the various prevention practices, as a complement to the more detailed industry standards and Codes of Practice, currently available.
The Manual on Oil Pollution series consists of six sections:
- Section I - Prevention (this publication)
- Section II - Contingency Planning
- Section III - Salvage
- Section IV - Combating Oil Spills
- Section V - Administrative Aspects of Oil Pollution Response
- Section VI - IMO Guidelines for Sampling and Identification of Oil Spils
The information provided in Section I is not intended to supersede or replace any information, law, or regulation contained in any other publication with respect to the waters and areas to which it pertains.